A key part of Marcello Bergamo’s drive towards a sustainable future is circularity… basically we want to do our part to make sure that what we produce gets reused time after time after time to reduce the amount of waste that goes into landfill and reduce the impact on the planet caused by mining of the raw materials.
(Source: Circular Economy, 2021)
Is there really a problem?
Yes, we believe it is a massive problem. Did you know that, globally, more than 100 million tonnes of textile waste is created each year. In Australia, this waste equates to 23kg of clothing into landfill for every man, woman and child and in the US the waste is more than 37 kg per person.
This is how your clothing is produced now…
(Source: Conventional value chain for polyester garments, 2021)
This is how Marcello Bergamo is producing your clothing from now on…
(Source: Wool/Polyester Garment Circular Life Cycle, 2020)
To achieve our sustainability goals we are actioning many changes in our business but we also need your support to close the loop.
- We design for longer use and circularity.
- We have disconnected our business from the fast fashion model.
- We now only use products that can be re-processed at end of life.
- We let our customers know how best to care for the garments and maximise their useful life.
- We actively encourage our customers to continue to use the garment for the entire useful life of the product.
- We remind our customers once a garment has reached end of useful life.
- We recover the garment/s from our customers once they have reached end of useful life or get damaged (whichever comes first).
- We take responsibility for managing the re-use process at the garments end of life.
What you can do:
- Care for your kit following our care instructions.
- Don’t purchase kit that you don’t need just because it is the latest fashion.
- Limit the number of pieces you have at any one time so you can purchase that really nice piece that you have had your eye on.
- Let us know if the kit is damaged prior to end of useful life so we can recover it from you.
- Let us know that you have finished with your garment after the end of useful life so that we can recover it from you. We will remind you at the half way point and at the end of life point
Marcello Bergamo | Circular design process
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.